Last Monday, we held a small memorial service for mom at the funeral home. She had requested in writing before she passed that we not have a funeral or visitation, but she would be okay with a very small service if it was something that my dad and brother and I wanted. Close family from both sides come down Sunday to be part of the service. When I walked in and saw the room on Monday, everything became so real, and the entire situation was overwhelming. This was a day we never wanted to see, yet it came upon us so quickly. The funeral home helped create an absolutely beautiful display, and I imagined mom smiling at the wonderful pictures and mementos that we picked out to share from her life.We are hoping to scan a lot of the old photos that we used on the photo boards in the upcoming months, and I would love to post some of them here once that has been completed.
Yesterday, Dad and I went through the majority of her belonging at the house, which was a tough, tough thing to do. It just feels unfair and unnatural to decide what to do with your mother's things at such a young age. However, mom was organized and a minimalist, which made things easy on us. I feel like things have been a little easier to manage than the first week she was gone, but it will always be hard. I think dad has been doing better, too, over the past few days. It sounds like he and Tiki have been getting into a little bit of a routine, which must be incredibly tough to do after over 36 years of marriage. Dad had done so much to help her through her disease the past two years, and mom called him a "hero" in her letter to me. Not only did he take wonderful care of her, but he took over most of the duties that she had done their entire marriage this past year. I'm proud to call him my dad!
I also wanted to thank all of the wonderful family, friends, and co-workers that have sent cards, gifts, and condolences. Without all of your support these last two weeks, I don't know how we would have made it through. Words cannot express my appreciation. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment